Friday 8 January 2010

Snowed Out

In case you've been living under a duvet recently you may have noticed it's been snowing. For most people it's a joy, with a side of minor inconvenience. Schools shut, work cancelled, a great excuse for reliving your childhood then retreating back home for hot chocolate and warming up by the fire.

For me it's a nightmare. I hate snow. Sure it's pretty and levelling but it causes me no end of angst. I have been 'snowed out' since Tuesday. I can't walk on the snow, or I can but I need help. And don't even get me started on ice. I have two problems. If I fall I can't get up without help and if I slip and break a leg I won't ever walk again. Now that's life changing snow.

I live on my own. I obviously like my independance but when it snows I either stay home or go to stay at my childhood home with my parents. Staying home is not a long term option. For a start after about 24 hours I'd go stir crazy, and secondly, I work full time. I have targets and deadlines and responsibilities so I can't just sit at home and ride out an extended holiday. Working from home is not an option either.

The physically getting to work doesn't bother me too much. I have a four-wheel drive jeep (albeit a small one) and it handles the snow and ice like a dream. My problem is getting from the house to the car. Hence, my parents. At their house I can park close to the door and they can help me and ensure I don't spectacularly fall. Hence, I have made it to the office every day this week.

I just hate having to do this. Practically it's the best solution but it's very depressing having to be treated like a child again and not being able to cope. And it's the little things that push me over the edge: not being able to watch what I want on TV, not having my books, DVD's etc. Using my own bathroom, making dinner in my own kitchen, having to get up at stupid-o'clock to make the commute to work.

And at nearly 28 it's not a good idea to live with your parents!

So it does rather annoy me when people call in snow to work. If I can make it in, so can you.

Rant over and wish for summer ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment